Saturday, January 18, 2014

GVH.

No more question mark.  They're officially calling it.  My liver enzymes continue to rise, which, along with the symptoms I've been developing over the last month or so, indicates graft vs host (gvh).  It's affecting my skin, my eyes (discharge), and my mouth (dry mouth plus sores). Right now, they want to control the symptoms. They've increased my immunosuppressant dose.  I'm supposed to wear sunblock every day, because even walking to my car exposes my skin to the sun, which can aggravate the gvh.  I'm using a topical steroid on my face (it is red and peely -- truly like a bad sunburn that won't heal), and OTC things for my eyes and mouth.  If my liver enzymes jump really high, they'll put me on an oral steroid.  I go back Tuesday to check again.  They're keeping a close eye on me. As far as how I feel, mostly annoyed by my eyes (stuck shut every night and goopy all day), a little difficult to eat with the mouth, and my face feels really hot.  But, I'm always cold, so maybe a hot face isn't so bad.  Mostly, I feel pretty run down.

5 comments:

  1. One more hurdle--------one more that you'll clear! We love you and are praying constantly. Hang in there Wonder Woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder Woman will beat that problem. Just use the golden lasso and hogtie those wayward cells.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and praying for you and the fam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Janna, I'm sure that you feel not only rundown but probably run over! Read 1 John 4:4 and know that the greatest One of all is in you. I'm praying for his loving mercy and healing hand and a glimpse of improvement to help you trust and rest. Blessing on you, too, Cory. Love, Aunt Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think having a hot face is a compliment. Imagine a group of people shouting this to you. "Hey, Hot Face!" Yeah, that would make my day.

    ReplyDelete