Monday, April 21, 2014

We're Still Here

Pardon the silence on the blog...I attribute it to the fact that life is in many ways back to normal.  We are so grateful for the progress I've made and the blessings we've seen.  Overall, things are good.  I'm still grappling with graft vs host.  The oral gvh has been a buggar, so in addition to keeping me on a higher dose of the immunosuppressant, they put me on a steroid a couple of weeks ago.  Hopefully this can nip it.  Fortunately, my liver continues to look good.  I'm mainly dealing with skin, eye, and oral gvh, with the oral being the most problematic.  Since I'm immunosuppressed from both the Tacrolimus (the medicine) and the steroid, I'm still on all my anti's (antibiotic, antifungal, antiviral).  I probably won't get off them all for a couple more months until we make sure this gvh is under control, and I continue to see the transplant doctor about every 2 weeks. I also still have double vision from the surgery last year.  My eye muscles and nerves are healthy, it's now a matter of retraining my brain.  I use my prism glasses to drive and do things that require me to not see double.  But, I could have completely lost sight in that right eye, so I'll take it.  I'm confident that we'll figure out this double vision stuff.

I'm back in life, though.  I don't wear my mask anymore and I go anywhere in public, being careful as we all should to wash my hands and not touch my face.  I don't take naps every day.  8 months post- transplant, we feel very grateful to be where we are.  In fact, we recently surprised the kids with a spring break trip to the beach in St. Augustine, FL.  It was marvelous. We had so much fun together and enjoyed some time to reconnect and rejuvenate.  We feel very blessed.  Thank you always for your continued prayers and love.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Janna and Fam! So glad that Jim posted the picture of you all in Florida. I had just checked the blog and it was still Febr, so was wanting new news. And especially this great news! Be blessed, and I will continue to pray for gvh to end! Love you all, Aunt Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your family got a well-deserved getaway! I'm so happy to hear that life is getting back to normal. I continue to pray for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Janna. Great picture. Wish I was there. Sure miss seeing y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! It's great to see your beautiful family. Your kids are SO big! :)

    ReplyDelete